Welcome to Goodfellow Air Force Base
Goodfellow Air Force Base is located in San Angelo, TX and is home to the Seventeenth Training Wing, a training facility of the United States Air Force subordinate to Air Education & Training Command (AETC). The main mission of Goodfellow AFB is to develop and administer training in cryptology and general intelligence career fields for Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy personnel as well as students from other Allied countries and national organizations.
Goodfellow AFB several tenant associations, including the 111th Military Intelligence Brigade/344th Military Intelligence Battalion; a Marine Corps detachment; and the Naval Technical Training Center Detachment. Moreover, the base hosts a DOT tire-testing installation.
The history of Goodfellow AFB begins with the days before Pearl Harbor, but its name registered the courage and sacrifice of an earlier struggle. On 14 September 1918, first Lt John J. Goodfellow, Jr., of San Angelo, Texas, go on board his Salmson 2A2 observation plane at Gondreville Airfield in France to carry out visual reconnaissance behind enemy lines. The assignment, part of a larger mission just underway, involved a major American offensive planned to downgrade the German salient near St. Mihiel.
Regrettably, unfavorable weather allowed surveillance only from lower altitude, a circumstance which exposed the lumbering Salmson to enemy pursuit. Three days later, the offensive a success, the young pilot's remains were recovered from his ruined craft and interred at the US military cemetery near Nancy, France.